[Union Carbide] A brand name for a low-molecular weight thermoplastic Polyvinyl acetate resin. AYAA has an average molecular weight of about 83,000. It does not contain any additives. AYAA is colorless initially but yellows with light aging (Down et al. 1996). It is often used as a hot melt adhesive where its minimum heat seal temperature is 60 C for 1.5 seconds.
Synonyms and Related Terms
European equivalent is Mowilith 40; Vinylite (former name)
Soluble in acetone, toluene. Resistant to fats, greases, dilute acids and alkalis.
Viscosity = 7
|Molecular Weight||Tg =21 C|
Hazards and Safety
May release ethyl acetate, ethanol, water, acetaldehyde on aging.
Jane Down, Maureen MacDonald, Jean Te'treault and Scott Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- C.V.Horie, Materials for Conservation, Butterworth-Heineman, London, 1997
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog
- Jane Down, Maureen MacDonald, Jean Te'treault, Scott Williams, Adhesive testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An evaluation of selected poly(vinyl acetate) and acrylic adhesives., Studies in Conservation, 41, 19-44, 1996
- Product Information Comment: Union Carbide