[Union Carbide] A brand name for a low-molecular weight thermoplastic Polyvinyl acetate resin. AYAC has an average molecular weight of about 12,800. It is generally used as an additive in other polyvinyl acetate resins to lower their softening point.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Vinylite (former name)
Soluble in acetone, toluene. Resistant to fats, greases, dilute acids and alkalis.
Viscosity = 1.5
|Molecular Weight||Tg =16 C|
Hazards and Safety
May release acetic acid.
J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- C.V.Horie, Materials for Conservation, Butterworth-Heineman, London, 1997
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog
- Jane Down, Maureen MacDonald, Jean Te'treault, Scott Williams, Adhesive testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An evaluation of selected poly(vinyl acetate) and acrylic adhesives., Studies in Conservation, 41, 19-44, 1996
- Product Information Comment: Union Carbide