Bubble wrap

Revision as of 14:13, 3 November 2018 by MDerrick (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
Bubble wrap


Introduced in 1960 as a trademark of Sealed Air Corporation, Bubble Wrap was formed from a double layer of plastic film containing sealed bubbles, or air pockets, between the layers. The bubbles provide cushioning and are often used to provide some shock and vibration isolation Bubble wrap is typically made from Polyethylene films, but some brands may be composed of Polyvinylidene chloride or Polyvinyl chloride. The permeability of the film can result in deflation of the bubbles overtime. Some versions, such as Aircap@ [Sealed Air] and Polycap@ [Ipsind] have and additional layer of nylon that prolongs the lifetime of the bubble. Anti-static versions are also available.

Synonyms and Related Terms

Bubble Wrap@; Bubblewrap; bubble-wrap; Artifact bubble wrap; bubble pack; bubble paper; air fill; Air Cap; Polycap; Luftpolsterfolie (Deut.)

Forms and Sizes

Bubble wrap is usually sold as rolls with widths up to 72” wide. Bubble sizes can range from 1/4” to 2“ diameter; typically 3/16”, 5/16” and ½”. Perforations optional ( e.g. every 12”).

Additional Information

Bubble Wrap history: https://web.archive.org/web/20100923074021/http://www.bubblewrapturns50today.info/bubble_wrap_facts.pdf

Sealed Air products: http://www.sealedairprotects.com/eu/en/products/bubblewrap/bubble_wrap.aspx

Sources Checked for Data in Record

  • Marjorie Shelley, The Care and Handling of Art Objects, The Metropolitan Museum, New York, 1987
  • Pam Hatchfield, Pollutants in the Museum Environment, Archetype Press, London, 2002
  • Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998

Retrieved from "http://cameo.mfa.org/index.php?title=Bubble_wrap&oldid=62272"