A pinkish-brown color, sandstone quarried in the Chuckanut Mountains in northwest Washington State. Chuckanut sandstone was quarried from 1856 to 1908. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the stone was used in the construction of buildings in many towns in the northwest including Seattle, Portland, and Bellingham.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- External source or communication Comment: Contributed information by J. Dixey (3/8/04)
- Website address 1 Comment: http://www.cob.org/pcd/cd/historic/tour/18.htm - contains image of building with facade made of Chuckanut sandstone
- Website address 2 Comment: History of Chuckanut Stone Quarry at http://www.kurtswanson.com/info/chuckanutquarry.html