Difference between revisions of "Gorilla Glue"
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
Original Gorilla Glue White Gorilla Glue Can cause skin irritation, may cause allergic skin reaction, cause eye irritation, are harmful if inhaled, may cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled, may cause respiratory irritation, may cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
Clear Gorilla Glue Combustible liquid, may cause an allergic skin reaction, causes serious eye irritation.
Revision as of 11:55, 31 July 2020
[Lutz File & Tool Co., Cincinnati, OH] A registered trademark for an strong waterproof wood glue. The Original Gorilla Glue formula was first introduced in 1994. It is a water-activated, thermosetting polyether-type polyurethane resin formula. The manufacturer states that Gorilla Glue® is 100% pure and does not contain fillers, plasticizers, or dangerous solvents. On activation, the glue expands approximately 3x its original volume. However, it is not recommended for use in gap-filling. The cured color of the glue is tan. Original Gorilla Glue is indicated for use on a variety of materials including wood, stone, metal, ceramic, foam, glass, concrete, etc. Gorilla glue is useful on many types of plastic but should not be used on Polypropylene or Polyethylene, or on rubbers with high oil or plasticizer contents. The resulting adhesive bond is waterproof, strong, and temperature resistant.
Since the development of the original glue, the company has expanded to offer Gorilla tape, Gorilla Super Glue, Gorilla Wood glue, Gorilla Construction adhesives and more. Some products are listed below:
|Original Gorilla Glue||Polyurethane||Waterproof, dries tan, sandable, paintable, expands curing curing|
|Clear Gorilla Glue||Hybrid||Water resistant, dries clear, sandable, paintable, does not expand on curing|
|White Gorilla Glue||polyurethane||Waterproof, dries white, sandable, paintable, expands during curing|
|Gorilla Super Glue||ethyl cyanoacrylate||Do not use outdoors, dries clear, sandable, not paintable, fast setting|
|Gorilla Epoxy||epoxy||Water resistant, dries clear, sandable, paintable|
Synonyms and Related Terms
Gorilla Brand Premium Glue
- Exhibit construction
- Original Gorilla Glue and White Gorilla Glue - Can cause skin irritation, may cause allergic skin reaction, cause eye irritation, are harmful if inhaled, may cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled, may cause respiratory irritation, may cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
- Clear Gorilla Glue - Combustible liquid, may cause an allergic skin reaction, causes serious eye irritation.
- Clear Gorilla Glue - Oddy tests performed by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (09/06/2019) indicated Clear Gorilla Glue is unsuitable for use with collections, yielding significant blue tarnish on lead coupons.
- White Gorilla Glue - Oddy tests performed by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (11/21/2017) indicated White Gorilla Glue is suitable for temporary use with collections.
- Gorilla Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive - Oddy tests performed by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (08/09/2017) indicated Gorilla Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive is suitable for temporary use with collections.
Physical and Chemical Properties
Working time = 20 minutes. Sets in 1-4 hours. Completely cure in 24 hours.
Cure temperature range 40-130 F.
Shelf life > 3 years unopened; about 1 year after opening
Resources and Citations
Gorilla Glues: Website
Gorilla Glues: SDS sheets