[Jade Adhesives, Chicago] A brand name for a white aqueous adhesive emulsion containing Ethylene vinyl acetate (20/80) copolymer. Jade 454 may also contain small amounts of plasticizers, dispersion aids, defoamers and preservatives. It turns yellow-brown with age.
Jade 454 is a moderate Acetic acid emitter. It has been shown to fall in the acidic range for pH before and after aging. In aging tests, Jade 454 has been shown to emit Toluene, water, Dichloromethane, 2-ethoxy ethanol, and 2-ethoxy ethyl acetate. (Down et al 1996). Enclosures prepared with off-gassing materials, especially when large quantities of the materials are used, should be allowed to dry for three to four weeks before being used to enclose sensitive objects (Tétreault 2017).
- Storage/Shelf Life: One year at 4.44-49°C (40-120°F).
Physical and Chemical Properties
Emulsion has 38% solids. Viscosity = 40000-45000 cps.
Emulsion pH = 3.84 (from AIC Book and Paper catalog).
Dried film swells in water and toluene.
J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Jane Down, Adhesive projects at the Canadian Conservation Institute, Preprints of the SSCR's 2nd Resins Conference, Sept. 1995, Scottish Society for Conservation & Restoration, Edinburgh
- Book and Paper Group, Paper Conservation Catalog, AIC, 1984, 1989
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997
- Down, Jane L., Maureen A. MacDonald, Jean Tétreault and R. Scott Williams. “Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute: An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl Acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives,” ‘’Studies in Conservation’’ 41, No. 1 (1996), 19-44.
- Down, Jane L. “The evaluation of selected poly(vinyl acetate) and acrylic adhesives: A final research update.” ‘’Studies in Conservation’’ 60, No. 1 (2015), 33-54.
- Jean Tétreault. “Products Used in Preventive Conservation,” ‘’CCI Technical Bulletin’’. Canadian Conservation Instute, Ottawa, No. 32 (2017).
- “Jade 454” in BPG Adhesives, AIC WIKI (accessed 6/2020).