[Ludlow Corporation] A registered trademark for a Barrier material made from Aluminum foil sandwiched between a transparent nylon film and layers of heat sealable Polyethylene. The nylon is adhered to the foil with a thin layer of polyethylene. Marvelseal 360 is strong, waterproof, vaporproof, and flexible. Originally made for military applications, Marvelseal 360 has found its way into conservation and has been used to seal wooden packing crates, display cases, and storage shelves since 1980. Paint does not adhere to Marvelseal very well but the surface can be covered with fabric or Dibond. A foil back sealing tape is available to cover staples and pin holes.
Other Marvelseal products have the following layers:
-FR 2175 (formerly Marvelseal 470) - Polypropylene / polyethylene / foil / polyethylene
-Marvelseal 585 - Tyvek / polyethylene / foil / Ethylene vinyl acetate
-Marvelseal 1311 - polypropylene / foil / Scrim
-Marvelseal 1312 - Kraft paper / polyethylene / foil / polyethylene
Synonyms and Related Terms
FR 2175 (formerly Marvelseal 470); Marvelseal 585; Marvelseal 1311; Marvelseal 1312; Foil o wrap
Marvelseal 360 Specifications:
-Layer 1: Biaxially Oriented Nylon, 0.6 mil
-Layer 2: Polyethylene, 1.4 mil
-Layer 3: Aluminum Foil, 0.0003 mil
-Layer 4: Polyethylene, 1.2 mil
-Layer 5: Linear Low-Density Polyethylene, 1.5 mil
Total Thickness: 5.2 Mils
MVTR (Moister Vapor Transfer Rate): 0.009 gms/meter2 (0.0006 gms/1002 inches.) per 24hrs @ 90% RH, 100°F OTR (Oxygen Transfer Rate): 0.009 cc/meter2 (0.0006 cc/1002 inches.) per 24 hrs @ 0 RH, 73°F Resistance to grease and oils is good and the dimensional stability at high percent RH is good. Heat seals at 350°F. Maximum temperature recommended for use is 400°F.
Forms and Sizes
The film is sold in rolls either 36" or 48" in width and lengths up to 200 yds. Also available as premade pouches in sizes (in.) 9x12, 12x16 and 17x22.
Applications for Storage Exhibit and Transport
- Lining shelves and shipping crates to minimize offgassing of wood products
- Create anoxic pouches for pest eradication or long-term storage
This video demonstrates the application of Marvelseal 360 onto wood with a household iron.
Video: click here. Credit: 2015 Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
The heat from the iron seals the Marvelseal to the wood and provides a vapor barrier. Application works best with iron set at highest heat level. Keep iron moving otherwise it will get stuck on the Marvelseal and tear it. For best results, the entire piece of wood must be completely covered with Marvelseal. If the Marvelseal tears, simply cut a small piece of Marvelseal and iron it onto the torn spot.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Preparation, Art Handling, Collections Care Information Network (PACCIN)
- Conservation Support Systems Website: https://conservationsupportsystems.com/product/show/marvelseal-360-barrier/barrier-films
- Gaylord Archival Website: https://www.gaylord.com/Preservation/Conservation-Supplies/Wrapping,-Lining-&-Support-Materials/Marvelseal&%23174;-360-Barrier-Film-(50-ft-)/p/M3650
- Pam Hatchfield, Pollutants in the Museum Environment, Archetype Press, London, 2002
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997
- Teri Hensick, contributed information, 1998
- Website address Comment: SPNCH at www.spnchorg.concom/supplies_cdn.htm (accessed 3/17/04) - lists Marvelseal 470 as polypropylene / polyethylene / aluminum / polypropylene