Difference between revisions of "Mat board"

Jump to: navigation, search
(Synonyms and Related Terms)
Line 6: Line 6:
== Synonyms and Related Terms ==
== Synonyms and Related Terms ==
mat; matboard
mat; matboard; paperboard
[[File:Crescent RagMat Blick.jpg|thumb|Crescent RagMat; Dick Blick]]
[[File:Crescent RagMat Blick.jpg|thumb|Crescent RagMat; Dick Blick]]

Revision as of 13:00, 23 November 2019

MFA Acc. #: 1999.241


A stiff Paperboard, such as Cardboard, that is placed under or over a drawing, painting, or photograph to serve as a frame or provide a border between the picture and the frame. Mat boards are available in a variety of colors and surface finishes.  Some are laminated with Decorative paper or Foil.  Most mat boards are made from wood pulp, but archival quality Rag boards are also available.

Synonyms and Related Terms

mat; matboard; paperboard

Crescent RagMat; Dick Blick

Sources Checked for Data in Record

  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • The Dictionary of Paper, American Paper Institute, New York, Fourth Edition, 1980
  • Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998

Retrieved from "http://cameo.mfa.org/index.php?title=Mat_board&oldid=65176"