Watercolor paper

Revision as of 13:14, 2 July 2014 by ALuxner (talk | contribs) (Description)
Jump to: navigation, search


A thick, hard-sized Paper used for painting with Watercolor paint. High quality watercolor paper is made from Rag pulp or from a mixture of Chemical wood pulp and rag pulp. The paper is sized. Watercolor paper is often very textured. The paper is dimensionally stable (wet and dry) and designed to minimize blemishes due to rubbing, scraping, and washing. Watercolor paper is just absorbent enough so the paints will not run but not so absorbent that the paints will be drawn into the paper.

Synonyms and Related Terms

water-colour paper (Br.)


  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • Hermann Kuhn, Conservation and Restoration of Works of Art and Antiquities, Butterworths, London, 1986
  • Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982
  • Book and Paper Group, Paper Conservation Catalog, AIC, 1984, 1989

Retrieved from "http://cameo.mfa.org/index.php?title=Watercolor_paper&oldid=45997"