Revision as of 23:19, 1 May 2016 by Jruggiero (talk | contribs) (Text replace - "== Authority ==" to "== Sources Checked for Data in Record ==")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
MFA Acc. #: 2000.971.12a-c


A darkening or discoloration usually due to aging. The term yellowing is often used to describe the yellow to brown change that occurs in varnishes and oil paints with time. Paper can also darken due environmental or chemical changes.

Synonyms and Related Terms

color reversion

Sources Checked for Data in Record

  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • The Dictionary of Paper, American Paper Institute, New York, Fourth Edition, 1980