3M 431 aluminum tape
[3M Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Division] A 2ml wide nominal shiny silver-color tape adhesive tape with dead soft Aluminum foil backing and highly engineered pressure sensitive, transparent Acrylic adhesive. Aluminum tape is reflective, UV resistant and thermally conductive. The flexible metal allows the tape to conform to curves and uneven surfaces. Its thermally conductivity helps dissipate heat and improves heating and cooling efficiency to protect temperature sensitive materials. The acrylic adhesive that adheres well in a wide range of temperatures and humidities. Additionally, the its ability to reflect heat and light protects surfaces and enhances lighting efficiency.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Aluminum foil tape; foil tape; metal tape
Similar products: 3M 425; 3M 431; 3M 850; 3M 591
- Permanent sealing, holding, splicing or masking applications requiring the protection offered by a foil backing.
- Heat shielding, heat reflecting
- Used in framing to line the interior of wood frames (rabbets) to protect the framed package from off-gassing, acid migration or as a moisture barrier
- Refrigerator and freezer coil attachment
- Plastic protection against heat and UV exposure
- Classified by UL to UL 723, Class "L" for low flammability rating
Links to Oddy Test results posted on AIC Wiki Materials Database Pages for individual materials below
° 3M 431 Tested 2018 (MMA-temporary; 2013 (BM - pass); 2006 (BKM - temporary)
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Temperature use range is from -65° to 300° F (-54° to 149° C).
- Minimum tape performance temp. -65 Degrees F
- Maximum tape performance strength 300 Degrees F
- Tape tensile strength 19 lb-in
- Tape adhesion strength 41 oz/in
Best results attained when applied to clean dry surface above 32 Degrees F
- Highly engineered acrylic adhesive provides long term durability, but removes cleanly after harsh masking applications
- Dead soft aluminum foil backing conforms to curved and uneven surfaces
- Withstands exposure to flame, weathering, moisture and UV
- This tape can withstand a variety of moisture, weathering, UV and solvents in order to provide an excellent work life, indoors or out. (low moisture vapor transmission)
Store under normal conditions of 60° to 80°F (16° to 27°C) and 40 to 60% R.H. in the original carton.
Forms and Sizes
3M website - Standard roll length 55m (60 yards) in a variety of widths
Grainger sells 5 yard rolls in 1”,2”,3”,4”,6” width, continuous rolls