1) A class of weaving patterns that uses long floating threads to form a geometric design.
2) A cotton cloth with a checked pattern resembling a barley kernel.
Synonyms and Related Terms
espiguilla (Esp.); gerstekorrel (binding) (Ned); bird's eye; honeycomb; barley corn; barlicorn;
H. Hodges, Artifacts: An Introduction to Early Materials and Techniques, Ronaldd P. Frye, Kingston, Canada, 1988, page 142.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Henry Hodges, Artifacts: An Introduction to Early Materials and Technology, Ronald P. Frye, Kingston, Canada, 1988 Comment: p. 142
- Meredith Montague, contributed information, 1998
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997