1) A hard, transparent polymer. Carboxymethyl cellulose, or CMC, is glossy and has good impact strength. However it is sensitive to moisture and most chemicals. Carboxymethyl cellulose is used for small containers, handles, eyeglass frames, pens, toys and packaging.
2) Carboxymethyl cellulose is a common name for sodium carboxymethyl cellulose.
Synonyms and Related Terms
CMC; carboxymethylcellulose (Fr.); carboximetilcelulosa (Esp.); carbossimetil cellulosa (It.); carboximetilcelulose (Port.)
Affected by water, acids, alkalis, alcohols, esters, ketones, phenols, oils Insoluble in carbon tetrachloride, perchloroethylene.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Website address 1 Comment: www.me.umist.ac.uk.historyp/cmc
- Website address 2 Comment: conservation termlist - www.hants.org.uk/museums
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, at http://www.wikipedia.com Comment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboxymethyl_cellulose (Accessed Jan. 15, 2006)