Carrara® glass

From CAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Description

[PPG Industries] A registered trademark for a type of colored opaque glass slabs. First produced in 1906, Carrara® glass was available in black and white. Later, new colors were added. It was popularly used in the 1920's to 1940's for exterior cladding on storefronts, service stations, movie theaters, and automobile dealerships. Carrara® was also used for interior clean surface areas such as hospital operating rooms, hotel lobbies, restaurants, kitchens, and bathrooms.

See also structural glass.

Synonyms and Related Terms

structural glass; opaque glass slab; recreated rock slab; sanitary glass

Additional Information

° Carol Dyson, "Structural Glass", in Twentieth-Century Building Materials, T. Jester (ed.), McGraw-Hill: New York, 1995.

° "The Preservation of Historic Pigmented Structural Glass (Vitrolite and Carrara Glass)", Preservation Brief 12, National Park Service. Link

Sources Checked for Data in Record

  • G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 616
  • Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
  • Thomas C. Jester (ed.), Twentieth-Century Building Materials, McGraw-Hill Companies, Washington DC, 1995
  • Website address 1 Comment: www.ppg.com/copyright.html - gives as registered trademark