[Dow Chemical] A brand name for a series of phenolic compounds used as disinfectants, fungicides, and preservatives. Dowicide is added to water-based paints such as casein, distemper, and gum tempera.
- Dowicide A: contains sodium ortho-phenyl phenate
- Dowicide B: contains sodium 2,4,5-trichlorophenate
- Dowicide 1: contains ortho-phenyl phenol
- Dowicide G: contains sodium pentachlorophenate
Soluble in water, methanol and acetone.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog