French chalk

Jump to: navigation, search


Common name for magnesium silicate (talc) prior to the 19th century. The name French talc is still occasionally used for a very soft talc which tailors use for marking fabrics. French chalk is also dusted between book leaves prior to gilding and is used as a sorbent for removing grease spots on paper and clothing.

Retrieved from ""