[Kommerling, USA] White, finely-textured, flexible Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) foam sheets. KomaTex has a matt, foamed surface that readily accepts inks, paints or laminants. It bonds well with most adhesives and is lightweight and flame resistant The weather resistant panel is recommended for outdoor applications.
Synonyms and Related Terms
- Signs, banners, displays
- Komatex: [SDS]
Research by Greg Smith and Michael Samide report that some rigid, unplasticized PVC construction boards give off a sulfur containing heat stabilizer (2-ethylhexyl thioglycolate [2-EHTG]) that can tarnish silver . However, they also reported finding several specific brands of PVC construction board, namely Komacel (Kommerling) and e-PVC (3A Composites) are safe for use in exhibition casework as they do not contain 2-EHTG.
Links to Oddy Test results posted on AIC Wiki Materials Database Pages for individual materials
- IMA: Link Komatex (2016/7: Pass to Temporary)
- MMA: Link Komatex White Matte (2019/09/24: Fail)
- MMA: Link Komatex 2210 (2018/08/03: Unsuitable)
Manufacturer lists as 100% recyclable.
Physical and Chemical Properties
Forms and Sizes
- Thicknesses: 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 15mm
- Widths: 1000mm, 1220mm, 1250mm, 1560mm, 2050mm
- Lengths: 2440mm, 3000mm, 3050mm, 4050mm
- Finishes: white (plus 9 other colors)
Resources and Citations
-  Assessing the Suitability of Unplasticized Poly(Vinyl Chloride) for Museum Showcase Construction, Michael J. Samide and Greg Smith, 2020 Link
- CCI Technical Bulletin 32 - Products Used in Preventive Conservation Link
- Kommerling: website