Jump to: navigation, search


1) The line or region produced when one layer of paint or varnish overlaps another recently applied stroke. When the two strokes are applied wet-on-wet, the lap area should merge and disappear.

2) An abrasive wheel or disk used for the rotary polishing of metals, gems or cross sections.

3) A cylinder or rod containing a continuous rolled mat of cotton, flax or wool fibers that have been carded and are waiting further processing.

Sources Checked for Data in Record

  • Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
  • The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998
  • ASTM, "Standard Terminology Relating to Paint, Varnish, Lacquer and Related Products", Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Section 6, Paints, Related Coatings and Aromatics, ASTM, D16, 7-Jan, Jul-96

Retrieved from ""