[Micro-surface Finishing Products, Iowa] A registered trademark for a series of cushioned abrasive cloths. Micro-mesh® Ultra-flex Regular sheets are composed of abrasive particles adhered on a latex film attached to a cotton cloth backing. For these sheets, grits from size 1500-6000 contain silicon carbide abrasive while the finer grits (8000 and 12000) contain aluminum oxide. Micro-mesh® abrasives can be used wet or dry for polished plastics (e.g., cross section mounts), paints, and soft woods as well as for cleaning metals (e.g., jewelry, SEM sources). Other types of Micro-mesh Ultra-flex sheets include:
- Micro-mesh® Aluminum oxide: designed for finishing aluminum and solid surface countertops. Abrasive is aluminum oxide. Grades range from 300-12000.
- Micro-mesh® MX: slightly less flexible sheets for use with metals and hard wood. Abrasive is silicon carbide (grades 60-600) and aluminum oxide (grades 800-1200).
- Micro-mesh® MX: diamond abrasive sheets for use with hard metal alloys, ceramics, natural granite, and natural marble. Grades range from 40-1800.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Ultraflex Micro-mesh® Regular: 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- External source or communication Comment: Submitted information from A Jenkins (11/14/05) - based on EDS analysis .. Micro-mesh grits 1500-6000 use silicon carbide as their abrasive, 8000 and 12000 use aluminum oxide.
- Gordon Hanlon, contributed information, 1998
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997
- Tom Rowland, Noel Riley, A-Z Guide to Cleaning, Conserving and Repairing Antiques, Constable and Co., Ltd., London, 1981