[Rohm & Haas] A registered trademark for a clear, colorless, thermoplastic resin acrylic resin. Paraloid B-48N (formerly called Acryloid B-48N in the United States) is a copolymer of methacrylate methyl methacrylate and butyl acrylate. It contains an promoter adhesion promoter that assists bonding to bare and primed metals. Analysis indicates that it also contains a plasticizer, phthalate dibutyl phthalate, that is sometimes concentrated in a residue on the bottom of the container. Paraloid B-48N is used as a clear coating for metals (copper, brass, bronze, and zinc). It produces a tough, flexible coating with excellent durability. Paraloid B-48N is supplied as solid pellets or as 45% solids solution in toluene (Paraloid B-48S).
Synonyms and Related Terms
Acryloid B-48N; Paraloid B48N (sp); Paraloid B-48S; Acryloid B48N (sp); Acryloid B-48N (sp)
Soluble in toluene, xylene, Cellosolve acetate, methyl ethyl ketone, and acetone.
Adding 2% ethanol may reduce cloudiness and stringiness.
|Molecular Weight||Tg= 50 C|
Hazards and Safety
J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- External source or communication, External source or communication Comment: Submission by B. Rydzewski, Jan. 2009
- Jane Down, Maureen MacDonald, Jean Te'treault, Scott Williams, Jane Down, Maureen MacDonald, Jean Te'treault, Scott Williams, Adhesive testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An evaluation of selected poly(vinyl acetate) and acrylic adhesives., Studies in Conservation, 41, 19-44, 1996
- Product Information Comment: Rohm and Haas acryloid acrylic resins sheet.1986.
- Website address 1, Website address 1 Comment: www.rohmhaas.com
- Marie Svoboda, Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Cricket Harbeck, Cricket Harbeck, Adhesives Commonly used in Objects Conservation, unpublished, 1996
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog
- Conservation Support Systems, Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997