1) An evergreen tree, Juniperus virginiana, more commonly known as eastern red cedar.
2) An evergreen tree, Thuja plicata, native to the Pacific northwest. It is also called pacific red cedar and western red cedar.
Synonyms and Related Terms
eastern red cedar; western red cedar; cèdre rouge (Fr.)
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 426
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998