[Rohm & Haas] A registered trademark for an aqueous acrylic emulsion. Rhoplex AC-33 is composed of a mixture of methyl methacrylate, ethylacrylate, and ethyl methacrylate polymers. The emulsion has 46.5 % solids with a pH of 9.4-9.7. Rhoplex AC-33 dries to form a water resistant film that can be heat activated. It has been used as a base material for acrylic gels and polymer paints. Production of AC-33 has been discontinued and Rhoplex B-60-A has been suggested as a replacement.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Rhoplex AC-33 (sp); Rhoplex AC33 (sp); Primal AC-33 (Europe)
46.5 % solids: pH = 9.4-9.7
Film (unaged): extract pH = neutral
Film (light aged to simulate 3 yrs): extract pH = 3.7 (Down et al. 1996)
Hazards and Safety
Solution may contain trace amounts of ammonia or formaldehyde
J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Website address 2 Comment: Conservation Resources: Link (Accessed Aug 6, 2007)
- Book and Paper Group, Paper Conservation Catalog, AIC, 1984, 1989
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997
- Jane Down, Maureen MacDonald, Jean Te'treault, Scott Williams, Adhesive testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An evaluation of selected poly(vinyl acetate) and acrylic adhesives., Studies in Conservation, 41, 19-44, 1996
- Website address 1 Comment: www.rohmhaas.com