1) The French term for a natural red clay containing iron ocher. Sanguine most often refers to the red hue produced by natural red earth pigments. The color of sanguine can range from a dark reddish brown to blood red.
2) The term sanguine is also used to coloring sticks (e.g., pencil or chalk) made with a red iron oxide colorant.
3) A drawing down with a sanguine crayon.
Synonyms and Related Terms
sanguined; red chalk; ruddle
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
- Susan E. Schur, Conservation Terminology: A review of Past & Current Nomenclature of Materials, Technology and Conservation, Spring (p.34-39); Summer (p.35-38); Fall (p.25-36), 1985