Jump to: navigation, search


An undercoating used to seal a porous surface. Sealers prevent excess or uneven absorption of stain, paint or varnish. They are commonly used on wood, concrete and plaster surfaces.

Synonyms and Related Terms

size; varnish; lacquer

Sources Checked for Data in Record

  • Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
  • ASTM, "Standard Terminology Relating to Paint, Varnish, Lacquer and Related Products", Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Section 6, Paints, Related Coatings and Aromatics, ASTM, D16, 7-Jan, Jul-96