Small, dark colored, glassy beads that were probably formed by the impact of a Meteorite with the earth's surface. Tektite beads are usually black, dark brown or green in color. They contain 68-82% Silica and have a composition similar to Shale.
Synonyms and Related Terms
tektites; Tektit (Deut.); Tektyt (Pol.); tektiet (Ned.)
Resources and Citations
- Encyclopedia Britannica, http://www.britannica.com Comment: "tektite" [Accessed 28 Sept. 2005].
- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tektite (Accessed Sept. 28, 2005)
- Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia, Douglas M. Considine (ed.), Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1976
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998