[Dow Chemical] A registered trademark for a nonionic surfactant composed of octylphenoxy polyethoxyethanol. Triton® X-100 is a transparent, slightly yellow, viscous liquid that is soluble in both aqueous and nonaqueous solvents. It has been used for removing tarnish from silver. Alkylphenol ethoxylate compounds, like Igepal CA and Triton X, are toxic and should be handled with caution. Triton XL-80N is sold as an alternative.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Triton X-100 (sp); Nonoxynol-9; octyl phenoxy polyethoxy ethanol; ethoxylated nonylphenol; octylphenoxypolyethoxyethanol nonionic surfactant; alkylphenol-hydroxypolyoxyethlene; alkylaryl polyether alcohol; octyl phenol ethoxylate
Soluble in water, aromatic hydrocarbons, alcohols, ethers. Insoluble in aliphatic hydrocarbons.
pH (5% aqueous solution) = 6.0 - 8.0.
|Molecular Weight||mol. wt. = 624 (avg.)|
|Boiling Point||> 200|
Hazards and Safety
Contact and ingestion may cause irritation and burns. Inhalation may cause lung damage.
Spermicide and xenoestrogen.
Flash point = 251C (484F)
Mallinckrodt Baker: MSDS
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Caring for your Collections, Arthur W Schulz (ed.), Harry N. Abrams, Inc. , New York, 1992
- Richard C. Wolbers, Nanette T. Sterman, Chris Stavroudis, Notes for Workshop on New Methods in the Cleaning of Paintings, J.Paul Getty Trust, Los Angeles, 1990
- The Merck Index, Martha Windholz (ed.), Merck Research Labs, Rahway NJ, 10th edition, 1983 Comment: entry 6858
- Website address 1 Comment: Molecular Probe - www.probes.com/probes/legal/html
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Meredith Montague, contributed information, 1998
- Teri Hensick, contributed information, 1998