[Union Carbide] A brand name for a low-molecular weight thermoplastic Polyvinyl acetate resin. AYAT has an average molecular weight of about 167,000. AYAT does not contain any additives.
Synonyms and Related Terms
European equivalent is Mowilith 60; Vinylite (former name)
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Soluble in acetone, toluene.
- Resistant to fats, greases, dilute acids and alkalis.
- Tg = 26 C
Resources and Citations
- J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- C.V.Horie, Materials for Conservation, Butterworth-Heineman, London, 1997
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog