A rough, nubby yarn. Boucl yarn is usually a three ply yarn with one thread looser than the others producing loops. It is woven or knit to form fabrics that have a rough, spongy appearance. Boucl yarns are made from wool, cotton, silk, linen, or fiber synthetic fibers. They are used to made fabrics for sportswear, suits, coats, and dresses.
Synonyms and Related Terms
boucle; boucl yarn; boucl fabric; boucl (Esp.); Boucl (Ned);
- Hoechst Celanese Corporation, Hoechst Celanese Corporation, Dictionary of Fiber & Textile Technology (older version called Man-made Fiber and Textile Dictionary, 1965), Hoechst Celanese Corporation, Charlotte NC, 1990
- Rosalie Rosso King, Rosalie Rosso King, Textile Identification, Conservation, and Preservation, Noyes Publications, Park Ridge, NJ, 1985
- Random House, Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997
- Fairchild's Dictionary of Textiles, Phyllis G.Tortora, Robert S. Merkel (eds.), Fairchild Publications, New York City, 7th edition, 1996
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998