The crushed bone of a cuttlefish which is a mollusk of the family Sepiidae. Cuttlebone is calcareous mixture used primarily as a jewelry polish. Pieces of cuttlebone have also been imprinted with a pattern then used as small molds for making jewelry.
Synonyms and Related Terms
- Moderately toxic by inhalation.
Resources and Citations
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 5
- Michael McCann, Artist Beware, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York City, 1979
- Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982
- Jack Odgen, Jewellery of the Ancient World, Rizzoli International Publications Inc., New York City, 1982