A matte, opaque watercolor paint that primarily uses arabic gum arabic, senegal gum senegal, or dextrin as a binder. Gouache paints have opaque pigments rather than the transparent pigments used in watercolor paints. Chalk and other white fillers may be added to some colors. Gouache was used for miniature paintings in the 16th-18th centuries. It was also popular for decorative paintings on interior walls and for printing wall paper patterns. Poster paints are an inexpensive version of gouache.
Synonyms and Related Terms
poster paint; bodycolor; body colour (Br.); Guasch (Deut.); gouache (Fr.); guazzo (It.); guache (Esp., Port.)
J.Stephenson, "Gouache" The Dictionary of Art Grove's Dictionaries Inc, New York, 1996.
- R. J. Gettens, G.L. Stout, R. J. Gettens, G.L. Stout, Painting Materials, A Short Encyclopaedia, Dover Publications, New York, 1966
- Reed Kay, Reed Kay, The Painter's Guide To Studio Methods and Materials, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1983
- Ralph Mayer, Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
- Hermann Kuhn, Hermann Kuhn, Conservation and Restoration of Works of Art and Antiquities, Butterworths, London, 1986
- George Savage, George Savage, Art and Antique Restorer's Handbook, Rockliff Publishing Corp, London, 1954
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
- External source or communication, External source or communication Comment: D. van der Reyden "Identifying the Real Thing" at www.scmre.org/analysis.htm
- Website address 2 Comment: Multilingual Glossary for Art Librarians at http://www.ifla.org/VII/s30/pub/mgl.htm
- M.Phillips, M.Phillips, 'A Survey of Paint Technology', Paint in America, R. Moss, ed., Preservation Press, New York, 1994
- Website address 1, Website address 1 Comment: conservation termlist : www.hants.org.uk/museums
- Art and Architecture Thesaurus Online, http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabulary/aat/, J. Paul Getty Trust, Los Angeles, 2000