Jump to navigation Jump to search
[Rohm & Haas] A registered trademark for a clear, colorless, thermoplastic acrylic resin. Paraloid B-44 (formerly called Acryloid B-44 in the United States) is composed of a methyl methacrylate and ethyl acrylate copolymer. Paraloid B-44 is used for paints and clear coating for metals. It is the primary ingredient in Incralac metal coating. It produces a tough, flexible coating that yellows and becomes difficult to remove after long outdoor exposure. Paraloid® B-44 is supplied as solid pellets or as a 40% solids solution in toluene (Paraloid B-44S).
Synonyms and Related Terms
Acryloid® B-44; Paraloid® B-44S; Paraloid B44 (sp) Paraloid B-44 (sp); Acryloid B44 (sp); Acryloid B-44 (sp)
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Soluble in Toluene, Xylene, Cellosolve® acetate, Acetone, Methyl ethyl ketone.
- Molecular Weight = 140,000
- Tg = 60 C
- Refractive Index = 1.479
Resources and Citations
- J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
- C. V. Horie, Materials for Conservation, second edition, Routledge: London, 2010
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Cricket Harbeck, Adhesives Commonly used in Objects Conservation, unpublished, 1996
- Product Information Comment: Rohm and Haas acryloid acrylic resins sheet.1986.
- Website address 1 Comment: www.rohmhaas.com