Jump to navigation Jump to search
Any of over 250 species of small to medium-sized birds of the family Columbidae that are found throughout the world. Pigeons, or doves, feed on fruit and/or seeds. They are commonly found in urban areas where their copious droppings require repetitive site cleaning. As pigeon Guano is alkaline, it can damage marble and bronze statuary as well as building facades. Numerous deterrent methods such as nets, spikes, wires, gels, plastic owls, electric shocks, along with many types of mechanical and ultrasonic devices are being used with moderate success.
Synonyms and Related Terms
pigeons (pl.); dove; squabs
Resources and Citations
- ICOMOS-ISCS: Illustrated glossary on stone deterioration patterns
- Encyclopedia Britannica, http://www.britannica.com Comment: "pigeon." Accessed 3 Jan. 2005 .
- Bird-B-Gone website at http://birdbgone.com/
- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998
- Website: http://www.gamebird.com/dove.html