[DuPont (Canada)] A registered trademark for a cast nylon film. Dartek F-101 is composed of nylon 6,6. The soft, transparent, stretchable film is a thermoplastic resin that does not have plasticizers or surface coatings. It will conform to any shape using vacuum or gentle heating, such as with a hair dryer. Dartek is sold for use as a covering membrane for lining paintings on a vacuum table (Conservation Support Systems, 1998). Dartek is used in industry for lamination and packaging. It has low oxygen and moisture permeability.
Synonyms and Related Terms
nylon-66; Dartex (sp)
For a 1 mil film: Oxygen transmission = 54.3 ml/m2d Water vapor transmission = 295 g/m2d
Films do not contain additives or plasticizers.
HM Royal: Website
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Preparation, Art Handling, Collections Care Information Network (PACCIN): website http://www.paccin.org/content.php?62-Materials
- Book and Paper Group, Paper Conservation Catalog, AIC, 1984, 1989
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Teri Hensick, contributed information, 1998
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997