[DuPont (Canada)] A registered trademark for a thermoplastic, nylon film composed of Nylon 6,6. Dartek is a clear, strong film with low permeability and resistance to abrasion, oil, chemicals, and vapors. The soft, transparent, stretchable film will conform to any shape using vacuum or gentle heating, such as with a hair dryer. Dartek is sold for use as a covering membrane for lining paintings on a vacuum table (Conservation Support Systems, 1998). The tear resistant film has low oxygen and moisture permeability and can easily be adhered to other surfaces or itself with heat, hot melt or double sided tape. Dartek is used in industry for lamination and packaging.
Dartek films options:
- B-601 : Barrier film, 25 micron thickness, used for thermoforming, laminating and film extrusion
- B-602 : Barrier film, 25 micron thickness, PVDC coated
- C-917 : includes heat stabilizing ingredient for use in high temperature applications
- F-101 : Forming film, 25 micron thickness no additives; can be printed, laminated or extrusion coated
- N-201 : Non-forming film, 25 micron thickness
Synonyms and Related Terms
Dartek@; nylon-66; Dartex (sp)
For a 1 mil film: Oxygen transmission = 54.3 ml/m2d; Water vapor transmission = 295 g/m2d ; Density=1.13
Films do not contain additives or plasticizers. Can absorb up to 10% of its weight in moisture.
Handling and Workability
The tear resistant film has a 'saran-wrap' feel and clarity that is softer and more pliable than Mylar or glassine. Moisture and heat should be avoided as is may cause the film to stick. (PACCIN). In dry environments, the films can be brittle.
Forms and Sizes
Available in rolls from 10” to 88” wide and in gauges from .0075" (.19 mil) to 0.75” (1.9 mil).
Applications for Storage Exhibit and Transport
- Dust cover where light sensitivity is not an issue
- Replacement for glassine when wrapping paintings susceptible to tackiness or abrasion
HM Royal: Website
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Preparation, Art Handling, Collections Care Information Network (PACCIN)
- Book and Paper Group, Paper Conservation Catalog, AIC, 1984, 1989
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Teri Hensick, contributed information, 1998
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997