[DuPont (Canada)] A registered trademark for a cast nylon film composed of Nylon 6,6. Dartek is a clear, strong film with low permeability and resistance to abrasion, oil , vapors, and solvents. The soft, transparent, stretchable film is a thermoplastic resin that does not have plasticizers or surface coatings. It will conform to any shape using vacuum or gentle heating, such as with a hair dryer. Dartek is sold for use as a covering membrane for lining paintings on a vacuum table (Conservation Support Systems, 1998). Dartek is used in industry for lamination and packaging. The tear resistant film has low oxygen and moisture permeability.
Options for Dartek films:
- C-917 : includes heat stabilizing ingredient
Synonyms and Related Terms
Dartek@; nylon-66; Dartex (sp)
For a 1 mil film: Oxygen transmission = 54.3 ml/m2d Water vapor transmission = 295 g/m2d
Films do not contain additives or plasticizers. Can absorb up to 10% of its weight in moisture.
Forms and Sizes
Available in rolls from 10” to 88” wide and in gauges from .0075" (.19 mil) to .075” (1.9 mil).
Applications for Storage Exhibit and Transport
- As a dust cover where light sensitivity is not an issue
- As a replacement for glassine when wrapping paintings susceptible to tackiness or abrasion
HM Royal: Website
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Preparation, Art Handling, Collections Care Information Network (PACCIN): website http://www.paccin.org/content.php?62-Materials
- Book and Paper Group, Paper Conservation Catalog, AIC, 1984, 1989
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Teri Hensick, contributed information, 1998
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997