1) A long, flat plank of sawed lumber.
3) A flat card containing electronic chips and printed conductive paths. Also called circuit boards, they are used in computers and other 'smart' equipment.
Synonyms and Related Terms
1. plank, panel; planche (Fr.); panneau (Fr.); tabla (Esp.); panel (Esp.); tavola (It.)
3. circuit board; carte (Fr.)
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- The Dictionary of Paper, American Paper Institute, New York, Fourth Edition, 1980
- E.J.LaBarre, Dictionary and Encyclopedia of Paper and Paper-making, Swets & Zeitlinger, Amsterdam, 1969
- Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
- Matt Roberts, Don Etherington, Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1982