Carrara glass

From CAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
Club Moderna in Anaconda Montana

Description

[PPG Industries] A registered trademark for a type of colored opaque glass slabs. First produced in 1906, Carrara® glass was available in black and white. Later, new colors were added. It was popularly used in the 1920s to 1940s for exterior cladding on storefronts, service stations, movie theaters, and automobile dealerships. Carrara® was also used for interior clean surface areas such as hospital operating rooms, hotel lobbies, restaurants, kitchens, and bathrooms.

See also Structural glass.

Synonyms and Related Terms

structural glass; opaque glass slab; recreated rock slab; sanitary glass

Resources and Citations

  • Carol Dyson, "Structural Glass", in Twentieth-Century Building Materials, T. Jester (ed.), McGraw-Hill: New York, 1995.
  • "The Preservation of Historic Pigmented Structural Glass (Vitrolite and Carrara Glass)", Preservation Brief 12, National Park Service. Link
  • The Old House Web: 'Structural Pigmented Glass' link
  • G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 616
  • Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
  • Thomas C. Jester (ed.), Twentieth-Century Building Materials, McGraw-Hill Companies, Washington DC, 1995
  • Website: www.ppg.com/copyright.html - gives as registered trademark

Retrieved from "http://cameo.mfa.org/index.php?title=Carrara_glass&oldid=79547"