[Jade Adhesives, Chicago] A brand name for a white aqueous adhesive emulsion containing ethylene vinyl acetate (20/80) copolymer. Jade 403 may also contain small amounts of plasticizers, dispersion aids, defoamers and preservatives. Traces of formaldehyde have been found (Down et al 1996). Jade 403N performed well among the six adhesives tested in the CCI Report No. 1603 on testing of polyvinyl acetate and acrylic adhesives (Down et al 1996).
Synonyms and Related Terms
Emulsion has 50% solids. Viscosity = 6000-7000 cps.
Emulsion pH = 6.5-7.2 (manufacturer).
Dried film swells in water, ethanol and toluene.
J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- A Glossary of Paper Conservation Terms, Margaret Ellis (ed.), Conservation Center of the Institute of Fine Arts, New York City, 1998
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Teri Hensick, contributed information, 1998
- Book and Paper Group, Paper Conservation Catalog, AIC, 1984, 1989
- Jane Down, Adhesive projects at the Canadian Conservation Institute, Preprints of the SSCR's 2nd Resins Conference, Sept. 1995, Scottish Society for Conservation & Restoration, Edinburgh
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997