Obomodulan by OBO-Werke GmbH is a cast polyurethane board mainly used for model construction, tool making and mold production.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Hazards and Safety
Produces fine dust. Potential eye and respiratory irritant. Dust should be collected by suction cleaning equipment or use dust mask or respirator.
Risks to Collection Materials
Applications for Storage, Exhibit and Transport
Obomodulan is used as a structural material for display decks, display panels and risers.
Handling and Workability
- Standard wood product finishing processes. smooth and homogeneous surface combined with an even cell structure. It has a high edge stability, small thermal expansion coefficient, low dust formation when being machined.
- Porosity depends on board density. Obo 500 takes primer well and is dense enough for smooth finish without much extra work. Higher density panels (1400) give more structural stability.
- Standard primer and painting methods. Adhesives stick fairly well, good for laminates and textiles.
- Machines smoothly, does not chip, no banding, sands easily to a smooth surface.
- Readily accepts and holds hardware including staples, scress and other wood fastening hardware. Ideal for pressure fitting mounts.
- More labor with large scale builds due to small plank size. Need to adhere planks together with Obo Polyurethane 2-part adhesive and add splines for extra support.
- Best for risers, back panels and small display decks with fewer joins. Design for thickness no less than 1".
Forms and Sizes
- Most common for casework: Obo 500 comes in sheet sizes of 1" x 20" x 80" (25 x 500 x 2000mm)
- Range of 10 different densities between 200 - 1200 kg/m3. There are 8 different dimensions to a maximum of 2000 x 1000 mm and thicknesses of up to 200 mm are available.
Links to Oddy Test results posted on AIC Wiki Materials Database Pages for individual materials below
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Obomodulan® PU boards webpage contains links to product brochures, safety data sheet, technical data sheet and test reports. (accessed 10/2019)
- OBO-Bond brown adhesive technical data sheet (accessed 10/2019)