1) A movable, rigid, flat sheet made usually in a rectangular form. Panels are typically made from thin pieces of wood, fiberboard, or wallboard and have been used as a support for oil and tempera paintings.
2) A vertical, usually repetitive, section of fabric.
- R. J. Gettens, G.L. Stout, Painting Materials, A Short Encyclopaedia, Dover Publications, New York, 1966
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 619
- Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998