A dispersion or solution of a polymer, usually Polyvinyl chloride, in a Plasticizer. Plastisols form a liquid or gel. When heated (~150C) some of the plasticizer is volatilized thus permitting the resin to form a solid on cooling. Plastisols are used for molding Thermoplastic resins without the use of solvents. They are also used as sealants and coatings, especially in automobiles.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 848
- Theodore J. Reinhart, 'Glossary of Terms', Engineered Plastics, ASM International, 1988
- Richard S. Lewis, Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 10th ed., 1993
- Irving Skeist, Handbook of Adhesives, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York, 1977
- Art and Architecture Thesaurus Online, http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabulary/aat/, J. Paul Getty Trust, Los Angeles, 2000