1) A variant of ruddle, a red iron ore used as a colorant in paints and fabrics. See red ochre.
2) A device for spreading warp yarns evenly.
3) Interwoven sticks or vines, especially in a fence.
Synonyms and Related Terms
"ocre (Port.); ocher; ochre; red chalk
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Fairchild's Dictionary of Textiles, Phyllis G.Tortora, Robert S. Merkel (eds.), Fairchild Publications, New York City, 7th edition, 1996
- The American Heritage Dictionary or Encarta, via Microsoft Bookshelf 98, Microsoft Corp., 1998
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997