A Pine tree, Pinus echinata, native to the southeastern area of North America. The shortleaf pine produces a soft, pale yellow, easily worked wood. It is primarily used for millwork, interior trim, toys, and siding.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Pinus echinata; Southern pine; Arkansas soft pine; North Carolina pine; yellow pine
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Height = 20-30 m with circumferences 0.5-1 m
- Leaves = Needle in fasciles of 2-3
- Cones = 4-7 cm long with thin scales and short prickles.
- Density = 38 pcf
Resources and Citations
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 612
- Dictionary of Building Preservation, Ward Bucher, ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York City, 1996
- Southern Pine Association, New Orleans LA: air-dry weight = 38 pcf