[3A Composites, Airex AG, Switzerland] A rigid Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) foam board coated on one side with Polyethylene protective film. FOREX® Classic is made with free closed cell expanded foam extrusion using nitrogen blowing gas used but may have chemical residues of other blowing agents. Rigid poly vinyl chloride (PVC) foam board coated with optional polyethylene protective film (none, one sided, or two sided PE coating available). One-sided PE is standard for FOREX® Classic. Other product lines include FOREX® print and FOREX® color (See Forex)
Synonyms and Related Terms
- digital printing; screen printing; signage; lettering
- displays; exhibition design
- interior design; partitions/cladding; furniture
- shop design/shop fitting
- Harmful to health when inhaling or ingesting dust and vapors during unpacking, sawing, grinding and thermoforming.
- Ensure good ventilation and dust extraction on processing machines and at other places where dust may develop.
- Hazardous thermal decomposition products: Hydrochloric acid (HCl), Carbon dioxide (CO2), Carbon monoxide (CO)
- SDS sheet 
Greg Smith and Michael Samide report that some rigid, unplasticized PVC construction boards give off a sulfur containing heat stabilizer (2-ethylhexyl thioglycolate [2-EHTG]) that can tarnish silver (publication forthcoming). However, they also reported finding several specific brands of PVC construction board, namely Komacel (Kommerling) and e-PVC (3A Composites) are safe for use in exhibition casework as they do not contain 2-EHTG.
Links to Oddy Test results posted on AIC Wiki Materials Database Pages for individual materials below
° Forex Classic Tested in 2013 (British Museum -pass for permanent use)
Physical and Chemical Properties
Stable in normal conditions. Avoid temperatures > 180 °C.
- Insoluble in: Water, sea water, acids and bases, aliphatic hydrocarbons.
- Soluble in: Aromatic hydrocarbons,ketones, chlorinated hydrocarbons.
- Softening temperature: > 80 °C
- Thermal decomposition: > 180 °C
- Ignition temperature: > 450 °C
- Apparent density: 430 – 700 kg/m3
Simple mechanical processing with standard tools for working with wood and plastic Three dimensional forming using cold/hot bending and thermoforming. Sheet can be used for structural applications
Store away from immediate and dangerous sources of ignition. Danger of electrostatic charges when stored in very dry areas.
Forms and Sizes
- Thicknesses: 1mm, 2 mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 19mm
- Widths: 1220mm, 1560mm, 2030mm
- Lengths: 2440mm, 2500mm, 3050mm
- Colors: 9 variants
- Available with or without protective foil