A soft, elastic, machine-knitted fabric often used in underwear, bandages, and infants' wear. Stockinette fabrics are generally prepared with a plain stitch from wool, cotton, or synthetic fibers. The fabric may be made in tubular or flat forms.
Synonyms and Related Terms
stocking net; stockinet
- Internal supports/pillows
- Exhibit forms
Sources Checked for Data in Record
- Rachael Perkins Arenstein, Lisa Goldberg, and Eugenie Milroy, ‘Support and Rehousing for Collection Storage’ In ‘Preventive Conservation: Collection Storage’ Lisa Elkin and Christopher A. Norris (eds.), Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections, New York. 2019.
- Hoechst Celanese Corporation, Dictionary of Fiber & Textile Technology (older version called Man-made Fiber and Textile Dictionary, 1965), Hoechst Celanese Corporation, Charlotte NC, 1990
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997 Comment: also spelled stockinet
- Website address 1 Comment: AMOL reCollections Glossary -http://amol.org.au/recollections/7/c/htm