[Union Carbide] A brand name for a low-molecular weight thermoplastic Polyvinyl acetate resin. AYAA has an average molecular weight of about 83,000. It does not contain any additives. AYAA is colorless initially but yellows with light aging (Down et al. 1996). It is often used as a hot melt adhesive where its minimum heat seal temperature is 60 C for 1.5 seconds.
Synonyms and Related Terms
European equivalent is Mowilith 40; Vinylite (former name)
May release ethyl acetate, ethanol, water, acetaldehyde on aging.
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Soluble in acetone, toluene.
- Resistant to fats, greases, dilute acids and alkalis.
- Viscosity = 7
- Tg =21 C
- Refractive Index = 1.467
Resources and Citations
- Jane Down, Maureen MacDonald, Jean Te'treault and Scott Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
- C.V.Horie, Materials for Conservation, Butterworth-Heineman, London, 1997
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog