[Union Carbide] A brand name for a low-molecular weight thermoplastic Polyvinyl acetate resin. AYAC has an average molecular weight of about 12,800. It is generally used as an additive in other polyvinyl acetate resins to lower their softening point.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Vinylite (former name)
May release Acetic acid.
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Soluble in acetone, toluene.
- Resistant to fats, greases, dilute acids and alkalis.
- Viscosity = 1.5
- Tg =16 C
- Refractive Index = 1.467
Resources and Citations
- J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- C.V.Horie, Materials for Conservation, Butterworth-Heineman, London, 1997
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog