[Union Carbide] A brand name for a low-molecular weight thermoplastic Polyvinyl acetate resin. AYAF has an average molecular weight of about 113,000. It does not contain any additives. AYAF was previously sold as Vinylite A.
Synonyms and Related Terms
European equivalent is Mowilith 50; Vinylite A (former name)
Links to Oddy Test results posted on AIC Wiki Materials Database Pages for individual materials below
Mowilith 50 tested in 2013
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Soluble in acetone, toluene.
- Resistant to fats, greases, dilute acids and alkalis.
- Viscosity = 15
- Tg = 24 C
- Refractive Index = 1.467
Resources and Citations
- J. Down, M.MacDonald, J.Te'treault, S.Williams, Adhesive Testing at the Canadian Conservation Institute-An Evaluation of Selected Poly(Vinyl acetate) and Acrylic Adhesives", Studies in Conservation 41:19-44, 1996.
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- C.V.Horie, Materials for Conservation, Butterworth-Heineman, London, 1997
- Conservation Materials Ltd., Catalog