[Polymer Chemistry Innovations, AZ] A registered trademark for a series of water soluble polyoxazoline compounds. Aquazol® compounds are used to manufacture fibers, coatings, adhesives, films, and water-soluble polymeric materials. Aquazol® adhesives are composed of poly(2-ethyl-2-oxazoline). They are soluble in water as well as polar organic solvents. These polyoxazoline adhesives have good thermal stability and are used as a hot melts, liquid adhesives, consolidants, transparent coatings, and gessos. They are stable in weak acids and bases but are hydrolyzed by strong acids and bases. Preliminary aging studies indicate that Aquazol® maintains a neutral pH and good solubility (Wolbers et al 1994). Aquazol® adhesives are supplied as a pale yellow powders in three molecular weights (MW):
Aquazol® 50: MW=50,000; kinematic viscosity = 5-7 cSt
Aquazol® 200: MW=200,000; kinematic viscosity = 18-24 cSt
Aquazol® 500: MW=500,000; kinematic viscosity = 60-80 cSt
Synonyms and Related Terms
poly(2-ethyl-2-oxazoline); Aquasol (sp)
- Polychemistry: MSDS
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Soluble in water, MEK, acetone, ethanol, methanol, methylene chloride. Slightly soluble in pentane, toluene.
- pH in aqueous solution is neutral.
- Tg = 69-71C
- CAS = 25805-17-8
- Melting Point = 110-120 C
- Density = 1.14 g/ml
- Refractive Index = 1.52
Resources and Citations
- C.Shelton, "The Use of Aquazol-based Gilding Preparations" 1996 WAG Postprints, AIC meeting, Norfolk, Virginia.
- R.Wolbers, M.McGinn, D.Durbeck,"Poly(2-ethyl-2-oxazoline):A New Conservation Consolidant" Painted Wood, History and Conservation postprints from symposium in Williamsburg, VA, published by Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles, CA, 1994, pp. 514-528.
- G.S.Brady, Materials Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1971 Comment: p. 783
- Marie Svoboda, Conservation Survey Index, unpublished, 1997
- Product Information Comment: http://www.polychemistry.com/Products/aquazol.html - for Tg, refractive index, density, molecular weights and viscosity.
- Conservation Support Systems, Catalog, 1997