Jump to navigation Jump to search
A lightweight timber from the African whitewood tree, Triplochiton scleroxylon. Ayous, commonly called obeche, has a cream color wood with a straight to interlocking grain that produces a ribbon figure on the radial surface. Obeche has a medium texture and is easy to work. It is used for furniture.
Synonyms and Related Terms
Triplochiton scleroxylon; obeche; African whitewood; samba; wawa
Slightly toxic by inhalation and moderately toxic by ingestion. Finished wood and sawdust may cause skin allergies.
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Specific gravity = 0.36-40 (air dry)
- Density = 22-25 ppcf
Resources and Citations
- Ralph Mayer, A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques, Harper and Row Publishers, New York, 1969 (also 1945 printing)
- Michael McCann, Artist Beware, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York City, 1979
- Gordon Hanlon, contributed information, 1998
- Random House, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, Grammercy Book, New York, 1997